About This Blog and Dave Pear
This blog was started right after Super Bowl XLII in February 2008. Dave had just completed interviews with Michael Leahy of The Washington Post (click HERE), Stuart Eskenazi of The Seattle Times (click HERE), as well as with Harvey Araton of the New York Times (click HERE) and each article was going to appear in their respective Super Bowl Sunday editions. Mike Ditka had just held another press conference with several retired players and Congressional hearings were getting under way. So we decided to use the Internet to level the playing field a little and keep the heat turned up during the off season.
Here it is, another new year right after the Super Bowl and it’s another great off season to keep the heat up.
Oh – and HERE‘s a link to our very first post from back in February 7th, 2008 – seems like years ago!
Dave Pear was born in Vancouver, Washington and grew up in Portland, Oregon.
Dave attended the University of Washington on an athletic scholarship and played defensive tackle for the UW Huskies from 1971 – 1975. He graduated with a degree in Political Science.
He was the first Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-26) player to be selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and played in Super Bowl XV in 1980 for the Oakland Raiders (first wild card to ever capture the title – Oakland Raiders 27 – Philadelphia Eagles 10).
NFL: 1975- 80 (Baltimore Colts 1975; Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1976-78; Oakland Raiders 1979-80)
Pro Bowl: 1978
Super Bowl XV 1980: (with then-teammate Gene Upshaw)
Neck injury 1979 (played two additional years at the request of Al Davis).
Released from the Raiders after Super Bowl victory in 1981.
Al Davis (owner of the Oakland Raiders): “I will not take responsibility for your neck injury.”
Professional Patient – Social Security Disability
- 1981: Neck: Posterior Cervical Laminectomy at C6-7 with Removal of Hard Disc Compressing C-7 Nerve Root
- 1984: Neck: Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion at C6-7 and C7-1, utilizing bone-bank bone
- 1987: Lower back: Bilateral L4-5 disc removal followed by mini Knodt rod fusion at the L4-5 level
- 1989: Lower back: Exploration, Removal of Knodt’s rods. Laminectomy, Discectomy at L5-S1. Right L5-S1 Foraminotomy.
- Bilateral Lateral L4-5 , L5-S1 Fusion. Left Iliac crest Cortical Cancellous Bone Grafting.
- Insertion of EBI Bone Stimulator.
- 1989: Lower back: Removal of Retained EBI Bone Stimulator and Battery
- 1993: Lower back: Microsurgical Extensive Decompressive Hemilaminectomy, Mesiofacetectomy, Foraminotomy L1/2
- 2007: Lower back: Decompressive Lumbar Laminectomy of L3-4 with interbody fusion L3-4. (4 screws inserted into lower back)
- 2008: Left Hip: Left Primary cementless total hip arthroplasty
- 2009: Lower Back: I am scheduled to have the 4 screws removed and other additional clean up work in (March – April 2009)
- 2010: Right Hip: Right Primary cementless total hip arthroplasty
- 2011: Neck: Cervical discectomy at C4-5
Married in 1980 to my beautiful wife Heidi. We have raised two wonderful children. (Heidi and Dave met in college in 1973 while attending the University of Washington)
Spending time with my family and friends, reading, an occasional movie.
I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and an advocate for justice!