John Madden thinks kids start playing football with helmets …

Aug 6, 2014

Roger Goodell                                          Nola.com

click here: John Madden thinks kids start playing footballwith helmets …
Los Angeles Times ?- 1 day ago
… the series was a round-table discussion focused on youth football with a panel featuring Stark, Madden, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, ..
=
But then Madden chimed in, asking how long it takes coaches to become certified. When Goodell told him it took about an hour and a half, the legendary coach/broadcaster dropped this bombshell”
=
Posted by | Categories: News |

1. Dave P
    August 6th, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Dear Roger Goodell,

It may take an hour and a half to become the Commissioner of the NFL. However, you can’t become a coach in an hour and a half.

Sincerely,
    Pro Bowl 1978
    Super Bowl XV

2. Rick Sanford
    August 6th, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Promoting tackling in youth football is a terrible idea. Appears the commissioner doesn’t make a lot of prudent decisions. Due to today’s overwhelming evidence that football contributes to so many life- shortening and or altering physical and mental disabilities , how can parents allow their children to play in these youth leagues? See the commissioners own comments, that they can certify a coach to teach a child to tackle in an hour and a half. Sorry, but my son wouldn’t be playing.It’s way past time for the NFL hierarchy to admit that football caused brain damage to its participants in the past. It’s also time for the concussion lawsuit to take care of the former players who have been damaged and scarred physically, emotionally, and mentally.

3. henrietta watson
    August 6th, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

Finally someone with common sense speaks.

August 7th, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Rodger states he started playing tackle football at age 7. That explains a lot.

Need I say more?

My worst concussion came during my 3rd year of Pop Warner in 1972 at age 13. I knocked myself out in a worthless Bull – In – The – Ring drill and was hospitalized. Here is where your 1 1/2 hrs of coaches training comes into play Rodger.

How many of you would line up 12 & 13 year old kids in a circle 20 yards across, put a ball in the middle, and have players from opposite sides sprint 10 yards at each other head to head and see who could get the ball across their line?

Coaches who have only had a total of 1 1/2 hrs of training would, I guarantee it.

Studies have proven the earlier you are concussed, the lower your threshold is for the next.

My final concussion was 8 seasons later in the first quarter of a Dallas Cowboy game in 1980. I never missed a play or practice and was informed later in the week by the trainers and team doctor, when my memory returned, that they administered over 20 smelling salts to me during the course of the game to keep me on the field.

Funny how Pop Warner doctors and coaches in 1970 held me out for 3 weeks after a concussion, yet 8 seasons later, a professional organization didn’t have the knowledge or wherewithal to pull me out a single play.

Who was calling the shots? The medical professionals? The coaches? The owners? Someone was responsible for returning so many of us back to play with brains scrambled, when we couldn’t make an informed decision for ourselves.

What impact did that have on my following 9 emergency VP shunt brain surgeries?????

Not enough to qualify me for more than 20% of my potential payment from the NFL Head Injury lawsuit settlement. My second season in the NFL will NOT count considering I was on Injured Reserve with an NFL caused emergency brain surgery.

Am I missing something here?

“Sorry George. Did you forget. You had brain surgery during the 81 season. That year won’t count towards your vesting in the NFL Brain Injury lawsuit.”

“Oh, OK. Thanks for explaining it to me. I’m a little slow now with 4 holes drilled in my skull, 3″ of tube with a perforated tip shoved into the middle of my ventricles in the middle of my brain, a pressure valve installed in the back of my head, and 34″ of plastic tubing plumbing into my intestinal cavity to drain spinal fluid out of my brain 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk, 365 days/year for the last 33 years. ”

THAT’S why that season doesn’t count in the NFL Brain Injury lawsuit.

Must be my NFL caused brain damage.

5. Johnny A. Watson
    August 7th, 2014 at 4:49 pm #

I do not know Coach Madden person-
    ally, but I think he has a good point.
    You do not become a coach over night.
    Especially with kids no older than
    6-10. My son played flag football for
    a couple of years. At the time I was
    not sure if he would get anything out
    of it. I was wrong. He played both ways
    And had a great time.
    Personnaly, I think they should start
    wearing pads when they are freshmen
    in High School.
    I did not start playing until I was a fresh-man in High School.
    John Watson
    For what it is worth

6. G. MALCOLM BROWN
    August 26th, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

Helmet to helmet contact is the source of concussions and lesser but damaging brain injuries.

JOHN HAS A POINT, ,,!

The helmets should not be hard shelled,.as the unit shell prevents the padding from functioning.

The hard shells hit and spring apart at a high rate of directional change.

VT tested youth players and found the helmet to helmet hits resulted inover 80 Gs of force on many occations. It seems the idea that it takes big guys to cause that kind of force is another myth.

The headgear should be flexible on the exterior and have an internal frame to prevent heavy long duration force to be held away from the skull…like in a pile up.

It has been seen over the years that the hard shell acts like a hammer and should be subject to some design correction.

Thanks for your blog,