Hypocrite of the Decade

Sep 6, 2013

hypocrite

baby Deion
What was it that Deion Sanders said a while back about how other retired players are whining because concussions don’t exist? Here’s our earlier post along with accompanying comments - click HERE to read our earlier post.
So it turns out the self-righteous Deion had already quietly filed his own California Workers Comp application way back in August 2010 (!!!) in which there were multiple medical citations including his very own brain injury-related claims! So what’s the deal, Deion? Maybe you should correct your Workers Comp application to include, “Needs money to pay his child support.” Or could it actually be your brain injuries making you say stupid stuff? Or did the NFL tell you to slam other retired players’ concussion lawsuits during your Super Bowl pre-game ramble?

Deion Sanders, critic of NFL concussion suits, seeks workers’ comp

Deion Sanders alleges head trauma in a workers’ compensation claim pending in California. He is one of numerous NFL employees who have filed claims.
By Ken Bensinger September 5, 2013, 5:54 p.m.
During the pregame show before February’s Super Bowl in New Orleans, Deion Sanders shared his thoughts about the thousands of former football players filing concussion lawsuits against the National Football League.
“The game is a safe game,” the television analyst and Hall of Fame cornerback said. “I don’t buy all these guys coming back with these concussions. I’m not buying all that. Half these guys are trying to make money off the deal.”
What Sanders didn’t say was that more than two years earlier he had filed a workers’ compensation claim in California, alleging head trauma and other injuries incurred while playing for the Dallas Cowboys.
The case is pending, but in November 2010, Sanders was determined to be 86% disabled by the Division of Workers’ Compensation, case documents show. Four doctors who examined the former star diagnosed more than a dozen medical conditions, including cognitive impairment and behavioral/emotional disorder. The review also said Sanders suffered from arthritis and “arousal disorder,” a sleep impairment.
Read the rest of the LA Times piece from Ken Besinger – click HERE.
We’ve also uploaded a publicly available copy of his Workers’ Comp Application filed in August 2010 to Scribd for easy viewing and to make it available for downloading and printing. You can also click the Enlarge icon in the lower right corner of the menu at the bottom of the viewing screen to go Full Screen for easier reading (just hit the ESC key to close):

September 6th, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

So when ol’ Deion finally gets cut from the NFL’s payroll, does anyone doubt that he’ll immediately file his concussion lawsuit against the NFL just like George Martin did literally two weeks after he was fired from the NFL Alumni?

Dave

2. RobertinSeattle
    September 6th, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

RobertinSeattle

Let’s not forget that one of the stories that I’m sure the NFL did NOT leak was the possibility that Jerry Jones may have been part of the settlement proposal negotiations which would account for why it’s so one-sided once again.

But wait! Deion played for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, didn’t he? (I’m not a football fan – what do I know…)

Gee – no possible connection there by any chance? Just a coincidence, right?

3. Alan Pastrana
    September 6th, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Alan Pastrana

Dear Dave:

Thank you for this blog and outlet for concerned players.

This is an open letter to the manufacturers (Riddell, Schutt) of YOUTH league football helmets. “Can we make a lighter YOUTH LEAGUE football helmet that is just as protective?”

In 1940, a blue/gold USNA leather helmet weighed 1.69 pounds and was worn by a midshipman who was 18-22 years old. In 1960-70, a Riddell hard plastic, suspension football helmet weighing 2.25 pounds was worn by college and professional men. Fast forward to 2012 and a brand new Schutt YOUTH league football helmet weighs almost 4 pounds. This 4 lb. helmet – worn by 6-7-8-9 year old youth football players – has TWICE the mass and is almost 3 times heavier than previous helmets worn by men. It makes no sense. Children at this age group have under-developed necks and cannot support the weight of these newer but heavier helmets. Is there any way youth league football helmets can be made lighter but just as protective?

Yours in Sports
    Alan Pastrana
    Denver Broncos
    1969 – 1970

September 6th, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

A shoe-in for the Hall of Shame on the first ballot.

Retired Player Advocate

5. Scott Burk
    September 6th, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Scott Burk

What makes it even more hypocritical is that Deion probably hit 3 guys in his entire career. He was not a warrior and any head trauma he incurred was due to falling out of his limo.

It completely undermines the suits brought by real football players. I do not begrudge his success on the field but he just proved he does not have any integrity.

Scott Burk
    Cincinnati Bengals
    1979

6. Ralph Perretta
    September 6th, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

Ralph Perretta

I’m 60 years old but I would dearly love to take a shot at that little punk Deion Sanders!

Ralph Perretta
    San Diego Chargers
    1975 – 1980

7. Bill Smith
    September 6th, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Frying Pan Sports

The game was safe for Sanders because he was famous for not tackling anyone.

Great work as always, Dave. Thanks for your efforts to support the retired players.

And thanks again for joining me on News, Notes and Rumors show.

Bill Smith
    Frying Pan Sports

8. Gregg Bingham
    September 6th, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Gregg Bingham

Ralph -

Spoken like a true boilermaker!

Bing
    Houston Oilers
    1973 – 1984

PS – But I bet ya I`ll beat ya to it!

9. Ralph Perretta
    September 7th, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Ralph Perretta

Hey Bing,

I trust that you are feeling better these days. It appears that since we are on the verge of some kind of concussion settlement that perhaps you will be the beneficiary of some really nice compensation, given all that you have been through. I was talking to Bob Babich about your ordeal and we think that it is really great that there will be muchos dineros available for the fellas who have suffered the most major head trauma and rightfully so.

Please look me up the next time you’re out on the West Coast. You had an awesome career and I’m proud to have been your teammate.

Boiler Up!

Ralph Perretta
    San Diego Chargers
    1975 – 1980

September 7th, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Dave at Home

Sanders,

Why are u such a fake?

Didn’t Duerson also claim that head injuries were NOT real in the NFL? How many retired players with head injuries did Duerson vote against (deny) while he was alive and a voting member on the Bell/Rozelle disability panel? Sadly, Duerson committed suicide with a gunshot to the chest so his brain could still be used for CTE research.

What about voting member of the Bell/Rozelle disability board, Robert Smith? He too is not sympathetic to his football brothers and he continues to voice his opinion with consistent denial votes. Then again, didn’t he admit to smoking dope and then lost his job as an NFL analyst? But how could this guy still maintain his job with the disability board as a voting member? The Groom Law Group certainly tells him how to vote just like they told Duerson how to vote before his suicide.

Some questions for Robert Smith:

1) Do you receive any disability benefits yourself from the NFL?
    2) Have you applied for Workers Comp?
    3) Have you filed a concussion lawsuit?

Sooner or later these facts will come out…

It seems that one of the duties of an NFL employee is to throw your football brothers under the bus then apply for the same benefits you denied for your disabled brother.

Sounds just like the NFL owners way of doing business?

Social Security disability at the age of 50
    Pro Bowl 1978
    Super Bowl XV

11. Gregg Bingham
    September 8th, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Greg Bingham

Ralph -

My issue (brain surgery) cost my insurance company over $500,000 and cost me $100,000 personally out of my own pocket (not really pocket change, is it?) which was my net after paying $35,000 in taxes. And when you add it all up, my brain meltdown basically cost every penny I made in the NFL from my first 4 years in the League (during which BTW I started every game) bringing my total loss to $135,000. Keep in mind, that figure was greatly enhanced (not base salary) with bonuses for starting all the games, minutes played and tackling incentives.

I applied for the 88 Plan benefits and received nothing. No, I never wanted to be deemed disabled – I refuse to be. I just thought the 88Pplan should/would pick up my co-pays and deductibles. However, all I got was the NFL runaround most of us have seen before and in the end, I received a big fat zero. Nada. Zip.

However, I did manage to get a huge increase in my health insurance premium which is now $1,400 a month and has been climbing since my surgery. From my seat, it seems they can’t cancel me but they’re sure trying to run me off. Which I cant let happen because no other company would insure me then. So now I’m stuck paying the excessive freight.

And while I’m on the topic of insurance companies… who pays for all these football-induced payouts the insurance companies do have to pay? Well, that would be all the insured people through a price increase on ALL policies. But whose obligation is it really??? Well, that would be none other than the NFL’s just like when each of us ends up finally being forced to apply for Social Security Disability benefits after being turned down by the League’s disability plan.

But they’ve been dodging their responsibilities for a long, long time now, haven’t they?

Gregg Bingham
    Houston Oilers
    1973 – 1984

12. Tom Beer
    September 9th, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Tom Beer

Hey Ralph-

There’s a reason why Prime Time was called The Matador during his career. As a cornerback, I never saw him force a sweep or attempt to tackle an RB who ran to daylight. Prime Time had a relatively injury-free career because the word “contact” was never in his vocabulary.

Tom Beer
    Denver 1967-69
    New England 1970-73

13. Joe Steed
    September 10th, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Joe Steed

LoL! Baby Deion was cute. He’s a company dude!

Joe Steed
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    1992 – 1999

14. Mike Davis
    September 10th, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Mike Davis Block

In an effort to be to be understanding with regard to Deion Sanders, I’ll say this: Perhaps – well, maybe more than that – he IS brain damaged and doesn’t know it. I think he must have an ironclad contract to still be a talking head on the TV football shows because he hasn’t said anything intelligible or enlightening or contributed to any eye-opening insights of any game for years. Nor can you ever understand what the hell he’s talking about!

So let’s pass him off for what he is: And what is that? I not 100% sure. But hypocrite on steroids sounds about right…

Mike Davis
    Raiders 1977 – 1987
    San Diego Chargers 1987

15. Troy Johnson
    December 10th, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

All I can say to Dieon is ” C’mon Man!” God Bless you though….