Wayne Radloff: How NFL “Benefits” Really Work

Feb 4, 2013

First of all, best of luck to Deion Sanders, who is such a brilliant genius that he doesn’t expect any cognitive problems in his future. Good luck with the child support, hope you don’t tell your next wife about the divorce in a text message – all the best in your stellar career and perfect NFL life.
YahooSports

Deion Sanders doubts NFL’s concussion problem, says former players are looking for payday

deionBy Kevin Kaduk | Shutdown Corner – Sun, Feb 3, 2013
It’s no secret that Deion Sanders is arguably the worst broadcaster on television pulling a check these days. Pick any five minutes of his NFL Network appearances and you’re likely to find five minutes of inane and uniformed bloviating that brings nothing to the table.
What Sanders said during Sunday’s pregame show, however, may have proven to be Prime Time’s low point. Despite player safety being the league’s No. 1 talking point for much of the last year, Sanders scoffed at the suggestion that the NFL has a concussion problem and blamed former players for trying to capitalize off the issue.
Read the rest of this train wreck by clicking HERE.
Wayne RadloffThen we bring you back to reality with a real-life slow motion train wreck.
Wayne Radloff: Denial of Benefits and Dementia
EDITOR’S NOTE: In a phone conversation with Dave this morning, Garland said that the one person on the Disability Board who gave Wayne’s case the most negative criticism and denial was… Dave Duerson. She said Duerson did not believe that Wayne had the medical problems he claimed he had. By the time Wayne was approved for any type of benefits, the NFL then told him that it was 16 years since he last played in the league so he was only eligible for the lowest level of disability benefits. And the Easterlings and the Radloffs provided a lot of support to each other until Ray Easterling killed himself last year.
One more sad story of brain damage at an early age, denied benefits, foreclosure and great support from your Union. Out of sheer frustration, Garland Radloff, devoted wife and caregiver of her husband, Wayne Radloff, has been apprising Dave about their present situation. Wayne (Atlanta Falcons San Francisco 49ers 1985 – 1991) was diagnosed several years ago with early onset dementia and was “approved” for the NFL’s 88 Plan after being turned down for Total & Permanent Disability Benefits earlier in his late 40′s. Wayne is now 51 with advanced dementia. We just received 31 pages of updates and documents from Garland and we think the years of paperwork pretty much speak for themselves. We can only hope making their story as public as possible right after Super Bowl might turn enough heads to make some other ones roll. Wayne and Garland’s treatment has been deplorable and no one should be treated this way especially under their ongoing situation.
We uploaded all 31 pages of applications, denials, background material and studies from the Radloffs to Scribd for easy viewing on our Blog and to make it available for downloading and printing. You can also click the Enlarge icon in the lower right corner of the menu at the bottom of the viewing screen to go Full Screen for easier reading (just hit the ESC key to close):

Wayne Radloff Applications for Help from the NFL

1. Gordon A.Wright
    February 5th, 2013 at 2:18 am #

My thoughts, true prayers for Justice, and love will grow and give tangible relief for so many former football players around the world suffering in silence.

Humanity is for Humans to perform towards each other. I’m willing to give a donation for football aid to relieve suffering!

And Dave, please do not be so hard on any man who has currently figured out a way to profit from the game he played and loves. Most men given the opportunity to get rich or die trying would do so in order not to be looked down upon. Most men’s pride says I would rather die than let anyone know my true condition.

My take on Mr.Sanders! ;-)

Gordon Wright

2. Reggie Rucker
    February 5th, 2013 at 7:08 am #

Reggie Rucker

How damaging are the comments from Deion Sanders or maybe should we not give substance to this publicity-seeking idiot?

Reggie Rucker
    Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns
    1970 – 1981

February 5th, 2013 at 10:34 am #

George Visger Brain Scans

I think Deion Sanders’ comment is a perfect example of damage to the frontal lobe… Poor judgment, lack of emotional control and poor social behavior.

To hell with the Neon Deion garbage. He needs to see Dr Amen.

I just finished reading Garland and Wayne Radloff’s nightmare and I’m sick to my stomach. God Bless you both for having the courage to air your story AND continue to fight for your earned benefits. We need more courageous people like yourself to step forward. Until the truth of what the NFL has been doing to families comes out, we are all destined for this neverending nightmare.

Our wives and children should not be forced to suffer for our decision to play a game.

Garland and Wayne – hang tough. We are all with you and I truly believe help is on the way.

Unfortunately, too late for too many others.

San Francisco 49ers 80 & 81 Super Bowl XVI
    Survivor of 9 NFL-Caused brain surgeries
    (As I was forced to prove in a 1984 Work Comp court of law)
    Benefactor of ZERO NFL Benefits
    GeorgeVisger.com

February 5th, 2013 at 11:21 am #

To the NFL (League), Paul Scott, Sarah Gaunt, Bell/Rozelle Disability Board, Doug Ell, Groom Law Group and ALL other attorneys being paid by EITHER the NFL, NFLPA or the retirement board:

Today, Garland Radloff shared with me how you, Duerson and the entire Bell/Rozelle Disability Board dragged their feet and denied that Wayne had brain damage until he was past the 15-year rule (schemed and plotted by the Groom Law Group, no doubt). This was to limit a retired player access to the Inactive B classification meaning that his injuries are not from football and is only 1/3 of what he actually earned!

My wish is that you and your families will receive the same plague you inflicted upon brain-damaged football players who made the NFL what it is today (a $10 Billion cash cow that will be around $25 Billion in 10 years) unless the concussion litigation changes your fraudulent business plan.

Garland also mentioned that YOU told her that Wayne selected Option C (life only) as his payment option for his miniscule benefits which means as his survivor, she will be entitled to ZERO spousal benefits. Do you know how much this scam has affected their lives already? Not that you care but Garland said that they just lost their home to foreclosure and Wayne has been depressed and suicidal. This blood is on YOUR hands should this happen (along with the League, Bell/Rozelle Disability Board and the Groom Law Group and any and ALL lawyers that supported this swindle)! Wayne has advanced dementia and a family with the same wife of 30 years so why would he select Option C which is life-only for his benefit?

Send Garland a copy of what you claim Wayne signed. My suggestion to Garland was if they do try to enforce a document signed by someone without the mental capacity to do so and under duress, then at the very least, she should take it to a handwriting expert to see if it is even Wayne’s writing (and I somehow doubt the Groom Law Group would allow this). Garland and Wayne say he DID NOT and it should and will be INVALIDATED because Wayne has dementia and Alzheimers according to the NFL’s own doctors!

Wayne’s wife Garland is at the end of her rope and desperately needs help. And they have a family. Look what this NFL scam has done to their family.

You guys ALL belong in jail and should be prosecuted for fraud. On April 9, 2013, my attorney, Jason Luckesevic, is going to drag you scammers into a court of law as you attempt to explain the concussion lawsuits and ongoing swindle of over 6,000 retired players and their families.

How much lower can you go?

Pro Bowl 1978
    Super Bowl XV

5. Larry Kaminski
    February 5th, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Larry Kaminski

I agree with Reggie.

Deion: Empty Cans Rattle …enough said.

Larry Kaminski
    Denver Broncos
    1966 – 1973

February 5th, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Let’s see what Deion has to say when he stops getting a check from the NFL or the networks who broadcast the NFL. God bless him if he never has any serious cognitive problems but his comments certainly call his judgment and common sense into question.

I have spent a lot of time in the past couple of years speaking to, corresponding and meeting with Garland Radloff. She is a truly exceptional woman, mother, wife, caregiver and ADVOCATE! Wayne’s case is a prime example of why the 15-year limit for T&P benefits (formerly called football degenerative benefit) is so arbitrary. There is absolutely no question how severely debilitated Wayne is and absolutely no question that his problem was caused by football – frontal lobe damage: He played Center. Maybe Deion should spend a day with Wayne.

Retired Player Advocate

7. Lionel James
    February 5th, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Lionel James

In Wayne Radloff’s case, I find it very hard to believe the NFL can say that playing the game isn’t a precursor to brain medical issues. I look behind the NFL’s Helmets and Russell and Riddell had to have done studies before the NFL finally left the leather helmet and faceless guard behind to sign off with them. That brings up when did they know and what research did they have statistically? I know that those numbers can be manipulated toward your best outcome.

Question: Did Riddell, Russell and the NFL try to perfect a helmet to prevent skull fractures or brain injuries? In time, the propaganda of skull fractures being more important will soon be found out by the masses. Which brings me to this point: Give me the number of owners’ sons who played in the NFL. If there was even one, I would be shocked. Every boy wants to be like their father and in his business. Why would the number be so low? Did he learn what the masses didn’t know, early in life? If so, he may have been saved the brain issues.

NASCAR started with moonshining, outrunning the sheriff, all the way to race cars of today that seem to explode in high impact crashes yet most of the drivers still manage to walk away. The human body simply cannot be redesigned to take those blows but we were fast and getting bigger, faster and stronger. But, I do know this: When Dale Earnhardt died on the track, HANS Devices became mandatory. Will it take one of our great gladiator football players dying on the field before the NFL Owners have to hit the courtroom stand? One thing I do know is that there is not an entity in the USA that has more money to fight with than our government. So I ask our Government to take a stand. You did it with tobacco, oil spills and Saddam Hussein. You always seem to be there when the rest of the world needs you. But so many of us will die early in life because the entire NFL seems to be exempt from the law and the rules that govern the rest of us.

Land of the free, home of the brave. I see brave each Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Fall Season. Then I see the winter of guys too young to be thinking of death and how their families will make it without them.

Lionel James
    San Diego Chargers
    1984 – 1988

8. Cody C. Jones
    February 5th, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Cody Jones - Rams

Deion is saying what I suspect some players still believe: Half the former players are looking for a pay day. I don’t know what kind of statistics he used; maybe he can share that with us at a later date.

I think all of us who played knew some of the consequences. But the owners had more information and concealed it. For that, they must suffer the consequences.

If the shoe was on the other foot, you know what they would do.

Cody C. Jones
    Los Angeles Rams
    1974 – 1982

9. Gregg Bingham
    February 5th, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Gregg Bingham

I (like all of my football brothers) am cut from the cloth of never-giving-up until I have taken my last breath. I can assure you 100% I am determined to beat my brain issue (5 weeks in a coma after brain surgery and its devastating effects) and still make a comeback. I’m determined to succeed and prove them all wrong about brain damage and its devastating effects (there isn’t any …crazy as that may sound), I’m going to beat this damn thing. That said, when I do “get over” this huge barrier, I or any of us should never, ever deride the message being sent about ANY OR ALL my other fellow NFL brothers regarding their concussions and brain damage.

THAT IS WHAT DAVE MEANT. To me, Deion went on the “take” to raise the flag of doubt. And NONE of us should ever do anything to alter or change the message. Way too many people hurting right now, sports fans.

Gregg Bingham
    Houston Oilers
    1973 – 1984

10. Tom Beer
    February 5th, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Tom Beer

Deion Sanders does not have to worry about CTE as he grows old. The many games I watched him play, I never saw hm hit anybody. I refer to him as the matador when attempting to tackle a running back turning the corner on a sweep.

Hey, Prime Time – the majority of retired players blocked and tackled on a regular basis. They didn’t have the free pass like Sanders did.

Tom Beer
    Denver Broncos, New England Patriots
    1967 – 1973

11. Gregg Bingham
    February 5th, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Greg Bingham

Hey Tom,

Guess you mean… He couldn’t hit the water even if he fell out of a boat!

I’d have to agree with that, buddy.

Gregg Bingham

February 5th, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Well said, Gregg.

‘Til you’ve experienced firsthand the devastating effects a TBI and/or brain surgery can have on families, Deion would do best to keep his trap shut. But we all know that won’t happen as long as he continues to suck from the NFL teat.

I would love to sit down and discuss with Mr. Sanders how I and my 49er roommate (see below) have been working the system as he suggests.

KVIE Channel 6 Sidelined: Concussions In Sports 12/19/12

Channel 13 News Sacramento 10/29/12 – Terry Tuatolo interview

SF 49ers 80 & 81
    Survivor of 9 NFL-Caused Brain Surgeries
    Benefactor of ZERO NFL Benefits

13. Joe DeLamielleure
    February 5th, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Joe DeLamielleure

I find his comments regarding concussions irresponsible and disrespectful to all former (and current) players. He has no appreciation for the history of the league and the sacrifices made by those who came before him.

I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that these comments came from a guy who could cover but not tackle.

Joe DeLamielleure
    Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns
    1973 – 1986
    Hall of Fame 2003

14. Retired NFL Player
    February 6th, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Deion Sanders has never been physical and never tackled anybody in his life! He was always a finesse player. That is why he wouldn’t have an issue with concussions.

15. Janet & Michael C. McCoy
    February 6th, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Mike C. McCoy

I just sent a tweet to Mr. Sanders asking him to spend a day with my husband.

I can certainly appreciate Garland’s concerns. We were also told by the NFL that my husband had signed for a lifetime annuity. I wonder what will happen to the Legacy Benefit for future widows?

Janet Brown-McCoy
    for Mike McCoy
    Green Bay Packers
    1976 – 1983

16. RobertinSeattle
    February 6th, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

RobertinSeattle

If that article from Yahoo Sports didn’t tick you off enough, here’s an even nastier story from The Examiner. Unfortunately for Deion, while some of the retired players may be able to look for new treatments for their brain injuries in the future, there is no known cure or class action lawsuits for stupidity. And please – let’s hope that no “stupid” lawyers chase him down to file one on his behalf as the lead plaintiff!

Examiner

Football star Deion Sanders says NFL concussion plaintiffs are liars

February 5, 2013

By: Samantha Chang

Ex-NFL star Deion Sanders says pro football is a safe sport, and that the thousands of former players suing the league over concussion-related brain damage are lying opportunists seeking a payout. In a series of biting Twitter comments, Deion took issue with the massive class action pending against the NFL for alleged football-related brain damage.

“There are many players that have experienced concussions, including myself, that are and aren’t affected today,” Sanders tweeted. “Let’s be honest about it and not do the popular thing and chase money and lawsuits because we hear it may result in a payday. Lying affects many that are truthful.”

You can read the rest of this story by clicking HERE.

17. Fred and Kristy Smerlas
    February 6th, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Fred Smerlas

First of all, Mr. Sanders, it appears that you’re the one looking for handouts from the league for turning on your fellow players. Enjoy your 30 pieces of silver.

And Garland and Wayne,

Please know that our hearts are full of love, despair and anger for what you are going through. It is unbelievable. We had no idea of the nightmare that is your life but sadly, not entirely surprised. Rest assured that you are not alone; many of us are suffering along with you; and until very recently, in silence.

NFL families need to stick together to get through this mess because no one knows what it is like to be ‘us.’ As the saying goes, those who never played will never know.

XOXO
    Fred and Kristy Smerlas
    Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers,
    New England Patriots
    1979 – 1992

18. Greg Davis
    February 7th, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Greg Davis

Wayne and family,

I am praying for you. Hope things improve but I have a full understanding of what you are dealing with in regards to the NFL.

It is more than ironic that a guy who shoots himself was making judgements on other players about their disability.

Greg Davis
    Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, Arizona Cardinals
    Minnesota Vikings, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders
    1987 – 1998

19. Greg Koch
    March 11th, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Greg Koch

It saddens me to see fellow players – brothers, if you will – in the fraternity of having the privilege of playing in the NFL, turn their back on those who have been permanently damaged by the game.

Deion Sanders’ comments are incredibly insensitive to those players suffering and worse – extremely uninformed – bordering on pure ignorance if not outright stupidity. It’s amazing that Mr. Sanders continuously tweets about love for each other and yet cannot find compassion for those who who legitimately carry the scars of repeated brain trauma. I always thought his actions were foolish but now as they say, he has opened his mouth and only confirmed himself to be a fool.

Greg Koch
    Gregory M. Koch & Associates, L.L.P.
    Attorneys and Counselors at Law
    Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings
    NFL Alum 1977-1987

20. Steve Radloff
    July 9th, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

I just found this blog…

Thanks for all the support you’ve shown to Wayne and Garland!

In my thoughts and prayers,
    Respectfully,
    Steve – Wayne’s older brother

21. Jan Montgomery
    August 29th, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

I have known the Radloffs for just a short while. I have to thank God for people like Garland and Wayne.

You guys keep looking to the Lord and keep the faith and He will see you through all the trials.

Jan Montgomery