Dan Pastorini: New Lawsuit

Nov 24, 2012

We were just informed of a lawsuit/complaint recently filed by Dan Pastorini (1971 – 1983: Oilers, Raiders, Rams, Eagles) in Minnesota (requesting to be heard in Texas) against attorney Michael Hausfeld and his firm, Hausfeld LLP, for “breach of contract, legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing.” We obtained a copy of the suit from public records.
We’ve uploaded a copy of the lawsuit to Scribd for easy viewing and to make it available for downloading and printing. You can also click the Enlarge icon in the lower right corner of the menu at the bottom of the viewing screen to go Full Screen for easier reading (just hit the ESC key to close):
Pastorini Breach of Contract and Malpractice Suit vs Hausfeld LLP

November 24th, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Dan –

I smelled a rat early on with my dealings with Hausfeld and his firm. I was one of a handful of players – Dave Pear included – who were flown out for a dog-and-pony show at the Press Club in Washington, D.C. They paraded us “damaged” former NFL players in front of scores of media groups using our NFL injuries, including my 9 NFL brain surgeries, to strengthen their case. Yet once the case was filed, neither Pear’s nor my name was listed as plaintiffs!

Having lived with the carnage my “short” NFL career has caused my family, my injuries are not something to be taken lightly nor a means for anyone to benefit from financially strictly for their own gain. I immediately contacted the Hausfeld firm to never use my name in relation to “their” case. Only then was I finally included in the complaint.

Reading Dan’s complaint that includes Hausfeld’s history, it is very obvious this is Michael Hausfeld’s MO and I’m glad he’s finally being called on it.

Remember, Mike, what goes around comes around. Keep your head on a swivel.

San Francisco 49ers 1980 & 1981 (Super Bowl)
    Survivor of 9 NFL-Caused Emergency VP Shunt Brain Surgeries
    Benefactor of ZERO NFL Benefits

2. Rick Hayes
    November 24th, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Rick Hayes

Aloha, Former NFL Player and Washington Husky Brother Dave:

As usual, Mahalo, Dave, for your expedited and reliable information applicable to all of our Athletic “After-Lives.”

As you might remember, my Father was a well-respected Seattle-Tacoma lawyer. Personally, I have been individually involved as a plaintiff in two major Personal Injury lawsuits, one resulting in a $1.3 million Seattle verdict in the late 70’s. I had been shot randomly by a cowardly “lawyer” [12-0 negative Jury vote on Contributory Negligence by me].

I noted Dan’s well-written pro se filing in his Hausfeld Case. I have always found it nearly impossible to find legal representation in legal malpractice cases. And the “Good Ol’ Boy” fraternity is nearly impossible to breach. But find a case where a physician has left a piece of gauze post-op in a patient and they will line up around the block!

Needless to say, I have been left very conflicted in my trust of the “Solicitor” profession. Solicitor is an interesting naming of the group, I believe.

In closing [note irony], I compliment Dan on his courage, talent and effort in attempting to enter the Legal Closet of Conflict.

Personal Regards,
    Rick Hayes
    L.A. Rams 1974
    UW Huskies 1969-1973
    UW Huskies

November 25th, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

BTW – This is also one reason so many of us chose Jason Luckasevic at Goldberg Persky & White to represent us in the concussion lawsuits.

Jason’s the real deal and was the original attorney who spent a couple of years researching and pulling together the first lawsuit (which also included Riddell). Many of the other suits still haven’t included Riddell even today. If you look carefully, most of the other lawyers have copied and pasted the material word-for-word from Jason’s work to pass off on their clients as their own.

I happen to know that Jason can and will defend every word in his claims for us in a courtroom in front of a judge and jury. Can’t say the same for all the ambulance chasers who have been riding on his coattails since this all started.

It’s all about who you can trust, guys!

4. Dan Pastorini Malpractice Suit Against Class Action Firm Hints Settlement Talks Already Under Way With NFL « Concussion Inc. – Author Irvin Muchnick
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

[…] In a potentially explosive turn of events, Dan Pastorini, one of the named plaintiffs in the alpha dog class-action suit against the National Football League by the Hausfeld law firm in Washington, D.C., has filed a malpractice claim against Hausfeld in Texas state court. Dave Pear’s blog links to the full complaint at http://davepear.com/blog/2012/11/dan-pastorini-new-lawsuit/. […]

5. Joe S.
    November 26th, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Joe Steed

“Absolute power corrupts absolutely!”

Think of Caligula going mad; such is the case of attorneys who lie, cheat, are narcissistic and deceitful. They always shoot themselves in the foot. The great attorneys are those who are just, sympathetic, fair-minded, and understand their gift to the world is “…with great power comes great responsibility.”

You look inside the world’s court systems and there is a battle going on as well. Those pre-93 CBA guys will prevail.

Joe Steed
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    1992 – 1999

6. JT Smith
    November 27th, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

JT Smith

Jason Luckasevic at Goldberg Persky & White represents me and a lot of others. He is someone with values who sees the value in us.

With the Hausfeld Group, there is a question of what’s behind the motives and they see no real value in us – now or in the future. So, no, he doesn’t speak for or represent me.

“The Devil is a Lie.”

JT Smith
    Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs,
    St. Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals
    1978 – 1990

7. Trying To Help
    January 23rd, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

I too am having a problem with the firm of Hausfeld, LLP …and Mr. Lewis. They entered into a 100% lump sum aggregate settlement for their Prempro clients where Lewis decided how much the client got out of a lump sum of money he was taking from the defendants and my case was included in the settlement without my consent. I refused to sign. Afterward, I was told how they had entered into an agreement with the defendants and this stipulated they could not represent me for court or trial and how a judge would uphold their agreement. Then I was told in one of his emails how Lewis did not want to pay for my case.

I have no trial lawyer after eight years of his representation. This case was over the death of a loved one. Please know that you can also file with the D.C. ethics/disciplinary board against the firm. The organization holds the lawyers’ bar licenses. Just be sure to document everything you can.

I wish you all the best with your lawsuit against Hausfeld LLP.