10 Questions We’ll be Asking at Our Next IFV Conference

Mar 19, 2012

If you haven’t signed up to attend our Second Annual Independent Football Veterans Conference this April 20 – 22 in Las Vegas, you may want to book your plane tickets and rooms this week while the rates are still low. Sign up for our Conference and reserve your room by clicking HERE. This year, we’ll be be using a different format to allow us to present more information and answer more questions that retired players have been asking:
What’s the latest news on the lawsuit against the NFLPA? When the NFLPA decertified just after the lockout this summer, legally and technically they had no right to represent current or retired players. Yet magically, the Legacy Fund and other benefits suddenly appeared in the weeks immediately following the ratification of the new CBA and recertification of the NFLPA. All with virtually no input or vote from the majority of retired players. We’ll have representatives from some of the law firms there to discuss what has happened so far.
Why is it that every time a song or a film gets played or sold, a musician, an actor or a composer gets paid a royalty? So why aren’t retired football players paid anything whenever they’re in a video game or on a DVD?
What are some of the more recent discoveries in concussions and traumatic brain injuries? Is there anything I can do to slow down or improve my mind and my memory?
And what about concussions? Most of us suffered from countless concussions over our careers. Our coaches and managers taught us to call them ‘zingers’ and sent us back into the game as quickly as possible. And what about the long-term effects? If the League and the owners denied most of us any disability benefits from the effects of concussions, yet in creating the 88 Plan, they finally acknowledged those long-term effects only after it’s taken its final toll from our families both financially and emotionally.
There are so many lawsuits currently fighting for every player’s attention, hear all the important issues and present your questions to the panel on concussions and equipment. We’ll be covering concussions and equipment on both days of the Conference: On Friday, our law panels will be discussing the legal aspects and what’s being done today as well as reviewing future action. On Saturday, our medical and neurological panels will be addressing topics ranging from how to detect and recognize the symptoms of a brain injury to questions such as just how effective have helmets been in protecting players from concussions?
And how about the Legacy Fund? Some of you are only finally receiving your retroactive checks while many others are still waiting for return calls from the benefits office in Baltimore. And why were the widows overlooked for the increase?
Why are more players winning their Social Security Disability and California Workers Compensation cases than those reaching favorable Disability and Pension verdicts with their own Plan? And just how legal is the Plan itself and the way it’s been managed? And just who do those people who run the Plan work for anyway? A panel of Disability and Workers Compensation attorneys will be there to discuss the latest cases and answer your questions.
If the NFL gets to pick the best of the best out of all the college football teams, then what responsibilities should they – and the universities who benefit from their lucrative football programs – bear when those players sustain life-changing injuries? For many of these college players, the football scholarship is just that: A scholarship based on their abilities as an athlete. Attorney Steve Berman’s firm has filed a lawsuit against the NCAA on behalf of college athletes and will be sitting on a panel that will prove to be very informative.
What new findings have come out of hyperbaric oxygen treatments and how will these new studies advance the general use of HBOT treatments not only for football players but also for our returning veterans and for everyone else who has ever had a concussion? Hear what some of the foremost experts in the field have to say about how much more quickly hyperbaric treatments are becoming accepted as one of the most cost-effective ways to treat concussions and brain injuries.
And The Amen Clinic will also be back to present results of three new brain studies they’ve completed over the past year.
I’m so excited about this year’s Conference that I know I’ve gone over the Top 10 Questions we all want to ask! The full list of our panelists’ biographies will be posting up this week. Stay tuned!
So be sure to sign up for our Conference and reserve your room by clicking HERE!

1. henrietta watson
    March 19th, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Sid Watson

My questions:

Who decided how the money would be distributed? Who decided to discriminate against injured players and widows and anyone else who doesn’t share in all this money?

I wrote to someone suggested in a previous blog and then received a letter telling me that he only represented current players!

Anyone have any answers?

Henrietta Watson
    widow Sid Watson (1932 – 2004)
    Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins
    1955 – 1958

2. Joe Sutton
    March 19th, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Joe Sutton

What ever happened to the raise in our pension? It was supposed to have been included in our December or January checks retroactive from last April. I never see anything about it in Jeff Nixon’s articles. He used to be the one who I thought would have the inside information.

J.S.
    Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles
    1949, 1950

3. John Griffin
    March 19th, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

John Griffin

Who can afford to go to these meetings and conferences? We are struggling just to stay ahead of the bill collectors! My family and I have not been on a vacation since 1985. It blows my mind on all the money being spent on all these shindigs but not a soul is helping the retired players get what is just for them.

John Griffin
    LA Rams & Denver Broncos
    1963 – 1967

4. Richard van Druten
    March 20th, 2012 at 3:20 am #

Richard van Druten

Any news or hope for non-vested players with regard to retirement or benefits?

Richard van Druten
    Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons
    1988 – 1990

March 20th, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Dave & Heidi.jpg

Hey John,

I can understand your frustrations and quite frankly I feel the same way at times. However, our Conference in Las Vegas April 20 thru 22 has been intentionally planned to be an affordable way for retired players to discuss and get some answers to our most important issues without having to spend a lot of money. The rooms are $55 for Thursday night and $85 a night for Friday and Saturday. Plus airfare and food in Las Vegas are certainly much cheaper than flying to the NFLPA’s party on Marco Island FL where the rooms run around $200+ per night, valet parking is $100+ and golf is well over $250! Our Conference will be all business (no golf!) but it’ll also be a good opportunity for retired players and their families to finally catch up with each other and fit in a little R&R at the same time without spending a fortune!

The League – AND the Union – have left most of us retired players (especially us pre-1993 players) in a lurch but this Conference will lay out the strategy for some of the most important lawsuits (and latest healthcare issues) going forward which would certainly help pay the long overdue bills owed to the retired players who were the real makers of the game.

I do feel your pain because I played 1975 to 1980 as an NFL player and my family has spent more on medical bills ($600,000 and growing daily) than what I ever made as a player. On top of that, add the ongoing time and expenses of running this Blog and organizing the Conference, I can certainly appreciate a tight budget.

If you’re able, I hope to see you at the Conference because the lawyers will explain the plan for retired players to fight for their long overdue restitution from:

1) NFLPA
    2) NFL Films
    3) Concussion lawsuit against the NFL, Riddell and NFL Properties.
    4) And there are more suits to come

6. Carl Cunningham
    March 21st, 2012 at 5:04 am #

Carl Cunningham

My Question: How are the long-term care policies to be funded and for what period of time? Will funds for these policies be terminated or allowed to expire?

My Concern: Should a private policy be dropped for the new NFL policy if the coverage is approximately the same but the premium is less than 50% (purchased five years ago)?

Carl Cunningham
    Denver Broncos, New Orleans Saints
    1967 – 1971

7. Gordon Wright
    March 21st, 2012 at 10:32 am #

I received a letter from Carl Frances at the NFL Players Association today March 21,2012. The letter was dated March 9, 2012. It said:

Media Release Washington 1133 20th Street NW, Washington, DC 20036

ARA Director Edward F. Coyle and ARA President Barbara Easterling wrote a letter applauding the many victories in the 10-year CBA that will benefit all players for the 10 years to come.

Noted were:
    The Legacy Benefit;
    The Former Player Life Improvement Plan;
    The NFL Group Insurance;
    The Neuro-Cognitive Disability Benefit;
    The 88 Plan;
    The Total and Permanent Disability Benefit;
    The Line-of-Duty Disability Benefit.

They stated they believed the 2011 CBA will be remembered as one of the greatest accomplishments in their Sports History; Not just for current players but for former players as well. It also stated Nolan Harrison who represents a few former players said, “Our young players learned a great lesson from our union brothers and sisters throughout the negotiations.”

My first question to Nolan is: When did the NFL start signing contracts with sisters to play for the NFL?

My next question to Nolan is: How did the NFLPA Legally represent any former player vested are non -vested when they were Legally decertified as a Union?

And my first question for ARA Presidents Coyle and Easterling is: When did they have a conversation with the majority of current NFL players and current living former NFL players, vested or non-vested?

Gordon Wright

8. Pat Tilley
    March 22nd, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Pat Tilley

I played with the Cardinals from 1976-86, currently retired, unable to work because of my four back surgeries and all the other injuries sustained.

I am continually amazed that I never read any talk from anyone concerning health insurance. I cannot get personal health coverage because of my pre-existing conditions. At any price. Surely I’m not the only retired player who can’t get insurance.

Why are we concerned about receiving a few extra dollars from our old films, etc. when there are so many of us who can’t get health insurance? How hard would it be to initiate a group policy that we could buy into. In a group policy, there are no questions asked about pre-existing conditions.

I’d like to see that added to one of the ten questions.

Pat Tilley