First Legacy Letters Arriving

Dec 12, 2011

Some of you have already received your first letter from the NFL/NFLPA Benefits Office. The letter appears to be a standard letter that declares how your funds will be paid out by the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Players Retirement Plan. (Thanks to John Griffin for getting a copy of his letter to us so quickly!)
Attorney John Hogan was gracious enough to do a quick review:
“I don’t see any release or anything suspicious here.  Just make sure that you answer all the questions honestly and accurately.”
We’ve uploaded a copy of the 2-page form to Scribd for easy viewing and to make it downloadable for printing. You can also click the Enlarge icon in the center of the menu at the bottom of the viewing screen to go Full Screen for easier reading (and just hit the ESC key to close):
NFL/NFLPA Legacy Fund Benefits Letter

1. Gordon Wright
    December 12th, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

In 1967 when I was a young man with a Bachelors Degree and National Football League Caliber Skills, Claude “Buddy” Young recruited young men for a Business Model Management/employment program that he created to bridge the gap between Owners of the teams, industries and NFL players: Young men with the ability to pass psychological testing and the ability to attain a college degree. The business model Claude “Buddy” Young created would have empowered the NFL player to never need to apply for early disability Retirement. The NFL player would always be self-sufficient and always have income to support himself and his family. We all know that his model was the right one but it would not allow for the blood-sucking robbers and lawyers and agents to make a living exploiting another man, his father and his mother and his wife and his children.

It is a shame that evil is persisting because there is not enough good in mankind. DeMaurice Smith is doing exactly what his predecessor did. De Smith is enriching himself. Why aren’t there any rules to prevent him from doing the same thing Upshaw did?

Gordon Wright

December 14th, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I might add some advice: That guys make a copy of the completed form for themselves and then mail the original back Return Receipt Requested just so there isn’t a problem with, “It got lost in the mail.”

With what the Post Office is going through these days, there could be a high probability of that!

Retired Player Advocate

3. Burt Grossman
    December 14th, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Burt Grossman Cover

I agree, John.

I actually faxed mine to them and then sent the original by mail.

Burt Grossman
    San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles
    1989 -1994

4. Sam Wyche
    December 14th, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Sam Wyche

I have already returned my form letter (after making a copy for my files)…

I did not ask for return receipt, but that’s a good idea!

I’m STILL trying to get accepted for the offer of Long Term Care from TransAmerica Corp. via NFLPA. I understand that 70% are getting “accepted” but everyone I’ve talked to has been rejected?!!

Sam Wyche
    Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Redskins,
    Detroit Lions & St. Louis Cardinals
    1968 – 1977

December 15th, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Burt,

Please let us know when you start receiving duplicate checks! LOL!

John

6. Jan Addison
    December 15th, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Tom Addison

Are any of the widows receiving any kind of notification, announcements of the agreement, letters to sign… anything?

My Husband, Tom Addison, passed away June 14, 2011, and I have received monthly checks but no other kind of communication! If it was not for a friend relaying information to me, I would not have a clue about what is happening.

Jan Addison
    widow, Tom Addison
    Boston Patriots
    1960 – 1968

7. Wayne Martin
    December 16th, 2011 at 12:59 am #

Wayne Martin

Will any of the Legacy Fund be added to my disability benefit?

Wayne Martin
    1989 – 2000
    New Orleans Saints

December 16th, 2011 at 6:42 am #

Wayne,

I don’t believe that the Legacy Fund is added to disability benefits. However, the new CBA (article 61, Sec. 3) provides for a raise in disability benefits effective Sept. 1,2011. (But I haven’t heard whether anyone has received the increase yet.)

Those of you (the few!!!) receiving football degenerative will be increased to $120,000; those on inactive will be raised from $40,000 to $50,000. And another increase will be given in 2016.

NOTE: These amounts are still subject to the 25% reduction where you took an early payment.

9. Sam Bowers
    December 19th, 2011 at 6:01 am #

Sam Bowers Generals

I only played 4 games with the Chicago Bears during the 1987 strike. I would like to know if I qualify for any kind of benefits at all from the NFL.

Sam Bowers
    Chicago Bears
    1987

10. Tiffany Brooks
    December 19th, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Kevin Brooks

This is all so overwhelming to me! My husband was drafted by the Cowboys first round many years ago and has many medical issues. We have always thought that the NFLPA and the NFLPCF have been good to us. There has never been an instance where we were denied anything that we asked for. Now that all of this collective bargaining agreement stuff has arisen, I am beginning to wonder if we were just being pacified.

Nothing makes any sense to me. Due to my husband’s concussions and mental state, I am now the ‘brains’ of this operation. My husband – as all of you other players – are considered heroes! You guys have built what America lives for! I am from a small town that lives and breathes football! It hurts me deeply to know that one day I will be in the shoes of many of the widows. My husband has become a broken shell of a man. I want to take him and hold him and say everything will be okay …I can’t promise him that. I now have to decide if I fight for what is right or if I just continue to take the good that the organization give us. I feel we are all family as wives and players. I never wish to see any of us neglected or mistreated. Please help me understand how and why this has happened!

Tiffany Brooks
    wife – Kevin Brooks
    Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions
    1985 – 1992

11. Janet & Michael C. McCoy
    December 23rd, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Mike C. McCoy

We finally received a letter from the Plan. Michael received an increase of $833.00 per month with no explanation as to how this amount was decided. He played for 9 years and this does not add up to the amount we were told he would receive.

Can anyone explain how this amount was decided? Apparently the floor amount promised did not apply to him nor did the $104.00 per season as it turns out. I would appreciate answers if anyone has them.

Good luck to all!

Janet Brown-McCoy
    for Mike McCoy
    Green Bay Packers
    1976 – 1983

12. Susan Bailey
    December 24th, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Philadelphia Eagles

I see that another widow who is receiving benefits also had a question as to the settlement and how it affects those of us already in the retirement system.

My husband Tom (Eagles) passed away in 2005 and had begun taking the pension with the widow’s benefit. I’ve not received anything information from the NFLPA and wondered if my signature was required prior to the issuance of the settlement/increase? Or will I automatically begin receiving the new amount, as I did in 2006/07?

Susan Bailey
    widow Tom Bailey (1949 – 2005)
    Philadelphia Eagles
    1971 – 1975

13. Joe Schmiesing
    December 26th, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

Joe Schmiesing

Do we as payees of the Legacy Benefit have a right to know how much Legal Lees and Administration Costs are and who is being paid these fees and costs out of the Legacy Fund?

If so, has the NFL Player’s Alumni asked for this information?

Joe Schmiesing
    St. Louis Cardinals, Detroit Lions,
    Baltimore Colts, New York Jets
    1968 – 1975

14. Bill Peterson
    December 27th, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Bill Peterson

My best friend, Fred Heron (Cardinals 1967- 1974), died December 28, 2010. His wife has not received any notification or information regarding the new CBA. Will she not be entitled to an increased benefit based on the widow arrangement he had on his plan? To date, she has received no increase. Will she have to go through the same dog-and-pony show that we do? I suggested she call the Plan office but does anybody have any information on this?

It seems to me the widows would have been the first to be taken care of. I also think it was a good suggestion to send along with our personal information a signed declaration stating that we are not waiving our right to challenge the manner in which this agreement came down.

Bill Peterson
    Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs
    1968 – 1976

15. John Griffin
    December 31st, 2011 at 8:43 am #

John Griffin

Has anyone received the second letter from the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan about the new Legacy benefit after filling out and returning their About Letter? I haven’t and what’s that letter dated December 19, 2011 that you posted? That’s just for those who are getting disability payments?

I see our fearless leader received his ONE MILLION DOLLAR BONUS!

John Griffin
    LA Rams & Denver Broncos
    1963 – 1967

16. Mike McCoy
    January 2nd, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Mike C. McCoy

@Susan Bailey,

Since you husband has passed, it may very well be that widows won’t get any increase as this is a new benefit. I don’t have any additional information but I would call the plan office and ask the question.

Good luck, fellow football wife!

Thanks
    Janet Brown-McCoy
    for Mike McCoy
    Green Bay Packers
    1976 – 1983

17. Burt Grossman
    January 8th, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Burt Grossman

Well, it’s already been a month since those first letters arrived. I faxed mine back signed that day and – par for the course – another month has now passed and no sign of that second letter.

Sure looks like Feb. 1st for the increase is out too. What a shocker!

Burt Grossman

18. Jim Tolbert
    January 9th, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Jim Tolbert

I received my second letter from the Legacy Fund three days ago dated 12/28/2011 and the amount of my benefits were wrong.

I played 11 years in the NFL and I retired in 1976. My current pension is only $160.00 per month and they calculated my life-only pension benefits to be $1,332.00. I faxed a letter to them with what I believe the right amount should be. I will also send a registered letter with a returned receipt today.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Jim Tolbert
    San Diego Chargers, Houston Oilers, St. Louis Cardinals
    1966 – 1977

19. Joe Schmiesing
    January 9th, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Joe Schmiesing

I still haven’t received that second letter. What takes so long?

Joe Schmiesing
    St. Louis Cardinals, Detroit Lions,
    Baltimore Colts, New York Jets
    1968 – 1975

20. Frank Youso
    January 10th, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Frank Youso

I received my Legacy backpay check and after playing nine years I was supposed to receive $4,464.00; I ended up receiving $2,848.88 and was short $1,615.12!

I also received my monthly check and it was short $403.78 for the month.

Just letting you know that we’re not getting what was promised.

Frank Youso
    New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders
    1958-1966

21. Burt Grossman
    January 10th, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Burt Grossman Cover

“Just letting you know that we’re not getting what was promised.”

We should have that printed on tee shirts, Frank. Doesn’t that always seem to be the case when dealing with our union, association, fraternity, club or whatever it is they’re calling themselves these days?

Burt Grossman

22. Burt Grossman
    January 30th, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Burt Grossman

OK – And February is here.

No Legacy Benefit and two months since I sent my first letter back and still haven’t received my second…

Burt Grossman

23. Bob DeMarco
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Bob Demarco

Received my Legacy payment on January 26th with the exact amount promised. They paid for 7 months. Mine was direct deposited.

Bob DeMarco