Dan Pastorini Tells It Like It Is

Nov 25, 2011

1. Chuck Thomas
    November 25th, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Chuck Thomas

Dan brings up a lot of excellent points for further discussions. We finally have a communication medium (Internet) that enables us pre-1993 former players to get better informed about the blatant disrespect we constantly seem to be getting from the decision makers at our Union; how do you discuss contract negotiations on how our funds are distributed without us having any say or pension/health benefit compensation consideration?

It does seem as though these decision makers are simply waiting for us to die off so that they don’t have to pay out monies negotiated or due us. The TIME is ticking away for ALL of Us…

Thanks, Guys, for Taking CHARGE of These Very Important Pre-1993 Issues.

Chuck Thomas
    Atlanta Falcons & San Francisco 49ers
    1985 – 1993

November 25th, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Dave & Heidi.jpg

Thanks Dan,

I personally saw Al Davis put his arm around Gene Upshaw and train him to become the thief he really was when I played for the Raiders.

De Smith then supports the naming of the NFLPA building UPSHAW PLACE, renamed the dire need fund THE GENE UPSHAW DIRE NEED FUND and over saw the giving of Upshaw’s estate $16,000+ when he slipped out the back door. But many of you don’t realize that when Upshaw took over the NFLPA in 1983 he was over $200,000 in debt and nearly bankrupt. 25 years later he left behind an estate that was worth well over $25,000,000 dollars. Who says crime doesn’t pay?

Anyone who supports the NFLPA or the NFL Alumni is making money or some type of financial gain for themselves – or hoping to do so some day – in supporting their actions. All by giving in to greedy behavior and throwing their football brothers under the bus for a paycheck.

3. Gregg Bingham
    November 25th, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

Greg Bingham

What really tees me of is NO COLA …with $15 trillion already printed in worthless currency in America (thanks to our “leaders” in DC) now out in space AND GROWING by the second. A 10-year deal is just what the owners wanted. The Big Mac will hit $10 dollars in that time frame (along with everything else as prices skyrocket) and retired players will be back to square one before that time period has passed. IT’S CALLED INFLATION and it will erode everything that has been received in this deal. Not to scare anyone but warning all: It’s going to be the nastiest 10 years you have EVER seen in your lifetime.

So prepare yourselves, gentlemen.

Gregg Bingham
    Houston Oilers
    1973 – 1984

4. Gordon Wright
    November 25th, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

My Father said He will take from the greedy rich and give to the righteous. My Father’s ways are not our ways. His Battle Axe is at work. Be of Good Cheer – our time is near. Keep the faith. The Arch of the Universe Bends Towards Justice.

Gordon Wright

5. Lionel James
    December 1st, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Lionel James

My question concerns the Legacy Fund. Where does the guy who is getting a disability check at 50 that’s not labeled as a pension check but disability – does he qualify for the Legacy Fund? Also, there’s nothing about the NFL that is done that is not “TIME STAMPED,” and what I mean by that is like Coach Glavine said about the meaning of “NFL”: “NOT FOR LONG.” If the NFL did not run a schedule, would it be there long? With that said, when – or who will Time Stamp when – those checks will actually go out? Are we still locked out because we don’t matter? If so, just tell me and I’ll feel better.

Dan tells a great historical story with statistics and – being a Math major – it brings things in to focus. As a black kid growing up in the 60?s, we saw life differently than most races. But football made equality for me, therefore I was passed on with racial misconduct. But my father wasn’t, so what he did was teach us how to live on both sides of the fence. What I mean by that is he always said that you have to learn to think like them. Yes, I know he was more about the Civil Rights thing but as I got older, I began to understand what he meant ‘by think like them.’ What he was saying was change your mind, not to be like them but to be able to fit in with them. Know all that you can, get and use it. How could our leaders – who gain experience and have access to the doors that we don’t have – not stand up for what we needed? Maybe they knew as Dan said that the average player plays 3 years and took a deal from the owners that declared vesting takes 5 years. We’re dying off faster than the general population probably because of the tax we placed on our bodies. I was consumed with playing the best that I could and thought nothing of it, as the owners filled the stadium, and all I wanted was a beer after the game along with my game check. How dumb I was. They sold us the second greatest lie ever told; the first was the DEVIL convinced the world that he did not exist. Think about that. Now this is a legal matter and we are searching, seeking, looking for justice. Now that we’ve been sold the second greatest lie, where do we go to get great help, or does all we have is what we get?

Let’s fight this together and learn as much as we can, because we can share with each other on a whole other level and then things get done.

Lionel James
    San Diego Chargers
    1984 – 1988

December 1st, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Hi Lionel,

How right you are! And another one of our football brother dies at the age of 42:

Ex-Raider Chester McGlockton dies at age 42

Who are the buttheads doing thumbs down on a post where another human being died?

I wonder if the NFL and NFLPA will ask his family to sign a waiver stating they can’t sue them before they consider allowing them access to his possible funeral benefit?

Bette Schwager wouldn’t sign the waiver when her husband Bruce died recently. The former Lineman in the process of being evicted from a Dementia Care Facility because our Union decided they were going to stop paying for his care during the lockout!

Bette is 72 years old and still working to put food on the table.

Where was our union when this happened? What about ‘One Team and One Locker Room’? While the NFPLA and NFL continue to lollygag aimlessly, retired players continue to die at a rapid rate.