Another Cry for Help

Jul 12, 2011

To Any And Everyone Who Cares About NFL Players Who Built The AFL/NFL
My name is Glendora Wright and I am the Primary Caregiver of Gordon Arnold Wright. In March 2005, Gordon started to lose his memory. He had a brain scan and the Neurologist said he had visible evidence of scar tissue in the Brain and that there were four distinct areas where there was bleeding and then healing. I informed him that Gordon had been in the NFL as an Offensive Guard from 1967 through 1971 in the capacity as a National Football Player. The Neurologist told me that Gordon needed treatment at that time and that I should apply for Total Disability!
The Hospital released Gordon Arnold Wright into my care with medical documentation saying he was Totally Disabled. I then spent a solid year caring for Gordon with no financial support from anyone. I was told I had to wait 24 months to receive Medicare on his behalf. I applied for Social Security and was denied because Gordon had worked for the United States Railroad for eleven years of his work life. The Railroad gave Gordon his full disability one year after I applied and took Gordon to all the Doctor Appointments they scheduled for Him. I applied with the NFL to help Gordon and I have been denied in every application for a vested Pension & Disability from 2005 through 2010. I put in an application on his behalf every year and I was denied every time.
I am 52 years old and Gordon is 67 years old. I am tired and worn out trying to care for Gordon by myself.
I have not had a vacation in 10 Years because I cannot leave Gordon alone.

• He asks me the same question three times in less than 30 minutes.
  • If you tell him to repeat what you say to him he cannot do it.
  • If he puts a book down he cannot remember where he left it.
  • He has started to get verbally abusive because he misplaces things and accuses me of doing it.
  • I Love Gordon and I would not do anything to hurt him!
  • I bathe him. I braid his Hair. I help him get dressed. I give him manicures and pedicures. I massage him every day because he is in physical pain constantly. Every three hours he asks for pain medicine. I feed him mostly soups in order for his bowels to move. The pain medications slow his digestive system so he has to take laxatives three times per day.

I am worn out from doing this job with no relief!
Please, Please – Help me to help my husband, Gordon Wright, who has given so much to the National Football League!
Gordon grew up with John Mackey and they were childhood friends. John helped Gordon get his first tryout with the NFL. Now Gordon is suffering with the same illness as the late John Mackey!
Mike Ditka knows my husband. Gordon served the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and the New York Jets.
I Glendora Wright on behalf of Gordon Arnold Wright need an Advocate for Benefits which will allow Gordon to get the Medical and Financial help he needs.
Right now, we do not have a working HVAC system in our home because the twenty-year old system broke and it will cost $6000.00 to replace. I cannot leave Gordon and go to work so I can pay for one. The $1500.00 disability check is just not enough to buy a new system so we suffer day-in-and-day-out with no air conditioning in the summer and no heat in the winter. We live in Florida.
Sincerely,
A Cry For Help from Dora the Wife of Gordon A. Wright

1. Gary Hrivnak
    July 12th, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

Gary Hrivnak 72

Let’s help Gordon and his wife get that A/C fixed! Can you set up a donation site?

Gary Hrivnak
    Purdue
    Purdue 1973
    Chicago Bears 1973 – 1976

2. Ruth Daniel
    July 12th, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

Willie Daniel

I just read Glendora Wright’s plea for help. Has she applied to have Gordon covered under the 88 Plan?

My husband, Willie Daniel, has been covered under the 88 Plan since 2007. This plan pays for help at home and also when a move to a facility becomes necessary.

From what I’ve read, it seems that Gordon would be diagnosed with dementia. I would suggest that Glendora look into this.

If she would like to contact me, I’ll be glad to talk to her. If you could, please send me her contact information by e-mail.

Ruth Daniel
    for Willie Daniel
    DB Pittsburgh Steelers, LA Rams
    1961 – 1969

3. Lou Piccone
    July 12th, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Lou Piccone

How can we help? It sounds like a small amount from a lot of former players could help with some basic amenities and would be a good start.

We need an address so that those who want to help financially can do so!

Lou Piccone
    New York Jets 74-76
    Buffalo Bills 77-83

4. Reggie Harrison aka Kamal Salaam-El
    July 13th, 2011 at 4:47 am #

Reggie Harrison

I am so sorry to hear about one of my fellow NFLers in this kind of shape.

I know that one of the many retirees in that area must know somebody who does HVAC work. I’m in Virginia and know at least four people who do that kind of work; surely we have some active or inactive brothers in that area who can help our own – PLEASE.

Reggie Harrison
    Kamal Salaam-El
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    1974 – 1977

5. Dave Hale
    July 13th, 2011 at 7:54 am #

David Hale

Dora,

You are exceptional — your “service” to Gordon has gone way beyond average. Yes, you do need help — a window A/C only costs around $100 and I will help you with that ASAP.

Let me know how to visit by phone — my 91-year old mother lives in SC.

I’m sure Gordon is a “big ol’ dude” and you need some assistance. I ran into many like him while playing and they’re a lug!

Hang in there, Dora!

Dave Hale DT (620) 245-5778
    Chicago Bears
    1969 – 1974

6. Reggie Berry
    July 13th, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Reggie Berry

I’m really sorry to read this. It brought tears to my eyes.

I’m sure that the right people will read this and give her the help that she needs because “there by the grace of God, go I.”

Reggie Berry
    San Diego Chargers
    1972 – 1974

7. Melvin Carver
    July 13th, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Mel Carver

I am interested in helping with the air conditioner they need. What part of Florida does Dora & Gordon Wright live in?

Mel Carver
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts
    1982 – 1987

8. RobertinSeattle
    July 13th, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

RobertinSeattle

Thanks to all for the overwhelming support for Dora and Gordon. We’ll be putting some of you in touch with Dora directly.

For those of you who wish to make donations to the Wrights, we just checked with our advisors and have confirmed that you can make donations directly to our nonprofit Independent Football Veterans and mark your contribution ‘For Dora & Gordon Wright’ so we can send it directly to them quickly.

(Click HERE to go to the Donations page.)

UPDATE:
    Shannon from GridIron Greats is currently tracking down an HVAC company in the Wrights area to coordinate installation of a new A/C and heating unit for them. Shannon is also trying to put local caregiver organizations in the area to give Dora some time off. We’ll keep everyone posted on progress. Thanks again to all for rallying your support so quickly! This is what it’s all about!

9. Michael C. McCoy
    July 13th, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Mike C. McCoy
    Dora,

There are many things the NFL may be able to help with. If you have all the documentation apply for the Plan 88, you should also look at the Gridiron Greats website – they can look at your financial status. They have monies for people who need help, you will need to turn in your tax returns and let them know what you need help with in terms of medical bills and such.

I have applied myself for my husband and it worked for us. If you can call me, maybe I can help (303) 920-5845. My name is Janet Brown-McCoy. The Plan 88 will need all medical records including any neuro reports you have indicating the words dementia.

Take care, my dear – I know your struggle as I live it every day with my husband too.

Janet Brown-McCoy
    for Mike McCoy
    Green Bay Packers
    1976 – 1983

July 14th, 2011 at 4:38 am #

Glendora and Janet,

God bless you both for your dedication. Few people realize the ripple effect brain injuries have on those around them. I am sure we can come up with an HVAC system at the very least. I’ll be sending $$$ to Dave and Robert for the fund (as I may be needing them soon myself!).

Janet, your story hits close to home. I began my Colorado career the year after Mike was drafted.

We suffer together and will persevere together.

Hang in there ladies.

CU Buffs 1976 – 1980
    San Francisco 49ers 80 & 81
    Survivor of 9 NFL-Caused Emergency VP Shunt Brain Surgeries
    Benefactor of ZERO NFL Benefits

11. Lou Piccone
    July 14th, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Lou Piccone

I will be sending a $50 dollar check. I know it’s not much but it’s a start. JoAnne and I know what hard times can be like and there are sources of help. Dora, please use all of the sources that are out there: The Dire Need Fund, Fourth and Goal, NFL Alumni etc. They might help and so should those of us who can afford even a small amount …it goes a long way especially in the HEART!

Lou Piccone
    NY Jets – 74-76
    Buffalo Bills – 77-83

12. Connie Carpenter
    July 14th, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

I’m just a fan and I am touched and sorry for the suffering past gridiron heroes are going through.

I hate knowing that the NFL feels no responsibility or desire to help. I am happy to make a donation to help Dora. God Bless you guys.

Connie Carpenter

13. Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund
    July 18th, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Shannon Jordan

With the help of many good people – we have been able to source a new HVAC unit for a player and wife living in Orlando in 105 degree heat without air for a full year. Hearing her voice when we told her it would be installed tomorrow was why we do what we do!

We are still working on medical relief and caregiver relief but that will be coming too!! What a great start to the week!

Shannon Jordan
    Gridiron Greats
    Gridiron Greats

July 20th, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Great job to all who selflessly stepped forward to help the Wrights get a little relief from their already stressful lives. Thank God we worked for a great industry like the NFL which can afford to pay the likes of Roger Goodell and De Smith their 8-figure salaries, when folks who built the shield can’t even sleep through the night due to the stifling heat.

God bless all of you who stepped forward.