Remembering Merlin Olsen

Mar 11, 2010

There were few people who didn’t like Merlin Olsen. He passed away early today in Salt Lake City at the age of 69 after a long battle with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lungs.

Merlin was a class act and his talents went beyond the football field. He remained a familiar face announcing games for years after playing the game. And he was a Hall of Famer. After playing in Super Bowl XV in 1981, I remember Merlin as one of the announcers! Olson also went on to successful acting career in such television series like Little House on the Prairie. Here are a couple of lead stories in today’s news: Click HERE and HERE.

And here’s a video tribute to the Fearsome Foursome:

1. Laurie
    March 11th, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Godspeed Merlin Olsen…

Just recently found this blog. It is a travesty what is happening to many of my childhood heroes.

Thank you for speaking up!

Laurie

2. Irv Cross
    March 11th, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

Irv Cross
    Laurie:

Merlin and I were teammates in Los Angeles from 1966-68. He was a fabulous football player, highly intelligent, gentle when he needed to be, and a devoted family man. The “Fearsome Foursome” is arguably the best defensive line ever. As a defensive back in the Rams’ secondary, I always felt safe with Oley on the field. I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy to the Olsen family, while at the same time I know he is in the safest place of all.

Irv Cross
    1961 – 1969
    Philadelphia Eagles & LA Rams

3. RobertinSeattle
    March 11th, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

RobertinSeattle
    Holy cow! Turns out that according to Beckett, there were 338 different collectors’ football cards for Merlin Olsen, with the majority of them issued after he retired from the game!

You can check out some of them on this collectors’ site – click HERE.

4. Brandi Winans
    March 11th, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

Brandi Winans
    Merlin was an Icon, a gentleman and one of a kind. My prayers go out to his family. He will be missed.

Brandi Winans

5. Gregg Bingham
    March 11th, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Greg Bingham
    Merlin and I had many great chats over the years I played… he was always the consummate gentleman. What a great man!!!

Gregg Bingham
    Houston Oilers
    1973 -1984

6. Frederick 'Rick' Hayes
    March 12th, 2010 at 1:13 am #

My last encounter with Merlin was as a ripe Rookie in 1974 while at the L.A. Rams training camp. We were sharing a cart ride to the training room from practice after both suffering leg injuries during the afternoon’s practice. I was naturally speechless to be in his company. Merlin jokingly broke the silence by asking me to sing the University of Washington Fight Song to him [His favorite due to the wording of “bowing down”]. Merlin claimed I owed it to him since in his presence, I would avoid the infamous Chuck Knox self-perceived scolding Coal Miner stare down to injured players. Merlin howled when I botched the wording of the song.

Merlin Olsen was truly the Ultimate Gentle Giant as shown by being so kind to a Rookie. I will treasure the brief private moment I spent with the best DT to ever play the game.

Aloha No Merlin
    Rick Hayes
    L.A. Rams 1974
    UW Huskies 1969-1973
    UW Huskies

7. Brett Shepherd
    March 12th, 2010 at 5:03 am #

LA Rams
    This is a loss felt by the Los Angeles Rams nation. Thanks for the memories, Mulley. Hey, the defense in heaven needed another d-lineman and they chose the best.

Brett Shepherd