Burt Grossman’s Severance Pay: Part 6

Mar 29, 2010

We swear – we’re NOT making any of this stuff up! Looks like we are now officially going into CYA time and people are coming forward with more documentation on Burt Grossman’s missing $40,000 Severance Pay. These documents just arrived this morning from Burt’s attorney, Daniel Anastasia, via Burt. We hope the PA continues to take ownership of this and starts to question the issue of Severance Pay for all the other retired players. A lot of them are also only now discovering that they haven’t been paid (including Lionel James who has gone through an almost identical stonewall process like Burt). Be sure to read our prior post this morning from Irv Cross that includes the language in the ’82 contract covering Severance from that agreement – click HERE to read it.

It’s also interesting to see that the very same people who were supposed to be handling retired players benefits are among the same ones now scrambling to pick up the dropped ball on Severance Pay. (Many of our readers might still recall the fantastic detail and concern Dave was given when he applied for his reimbursements from hip replacement surgery from 2008 - read about that HERE and HERE.) And – Burt’s missing W-2 has now apparently been found and it’s part of this set of documents! Now all we need to see is either an endorsed check with his signature on it or a new check – WITH INTEREST – sent along to Burt or his attorney immediately.

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge for easier reading.

1. Burt Grossman
    March 29th, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Burt Grossman
    Interesting to see the only addressed letter was to my Castajon Dr. address in La jolla dated 1998. I moved out of that house in 1995! I also see a handwritten note with a new address but no copy of any letters re-sent to it? And third, what’s with the in-house memos requesting the Chargers pay my severance so an annuity can kick in? I thought this was solely an Eagles transaction. Now I see handwritten letters including the Chargers where they request my severance kicks in so they can pay me some deferred annuity? So maybe now we know that this was randomly triggered 4 years later because the Chargers wanted my deferred money off their books?!! So someone made money from holding MY money? So where’s my proof of payment?

Burt Grossman
    San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles
    1989 -1994

March 29th, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Dave at Home
    Dear Mary-Ann Fleming,

Girlfriend, please: “Say it isn’t so”?

You are part of the problem! What could you possibly know about Severance Pay?!!

No disrespect but you are NOT qualified to handle ANY retired players’ benefits, especially the disability aspect.

1) Where did you go to school?
    2) Did you graduate?
    3) What was your grade point average?
    4) How long did it take you?
    5) Did you have prior work experience in this field and SPECIFICALLY where?
    6) Did you or a friend have a contact within the NFL prior to being hired?

Why does the NFL continue to hire unqualified people to run their gibberish benefits programs?

I was looking over my notes from 2007 from a conversation with Valerie Cross about benefits and she was explaining, “It’s the law” that a retired players can’t receive a pension and disability benefits simultaneously. I responded, “Valerie, shortly you’re going to realize that you are giving out incorrect information.”

And remember Gene Upshaw, the Malevolent Shepherd for retired players?

On Feb. 3, 2008 in the Washington Post Magazine section (Super Bowl Sunday), Gene was corrected by his own attorney, Lanny Davis, as being incorrect!

Why was Upshaw allowed to stand behind a federal law for 25 years that did not exist?

The excuse we always used to hear, “Well, that was just Gene being Gene.”

Why?

Note* definition of Malevolent:
    1) Having or exhibiting ill will; wishing harm to others; MALICIOUS.

When will this reprehensible behavior cease towards retired players and their beneficiaries?

Please respond.

3. RobertinSeattle
    March 29th, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

RobertinSeattle
    It’s also interesting to note that despite all their earlier denials of being unable to find documentation, now the NFL, the Eagles AND the Chargers (?!!!) managed to miraculously find not only that missing W-2 but they also found handwritten notes from that far back? Yet they can’t find a canceled check or a debit to their bank account to prove once-and-for-all that Burt got his money. All this even as the NFL lawyers are trying to force this into an arbitration hearing? We can only hope this would end up in front of the likes of a Judge Alsup.

Are their lawyers REALLY that stupid? Never mind – I take that back…

4. Tweets that mention Burt Grossman’s Severance Pay: Part 6 - Dave Pear's Blog -- Topsy.com
    March 29th, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by RobertinSeattle. RobertinSeattle said: Burt Grossman’s Severance Pay: Part 6: We swear – we’re NOT making any of this stuff up! It is now going into CYA … http://bit.ly/8XeN58 [...]

5. Burt Grossman
    March 29th, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

Burt Book Cover
    When I read those letters earlier today, I saw the first summary letter stated I sent a change of address on 2/28/1998, yet the letter dated June 8, 1998 still reflected the old address!

Again, if the Chargers had never requested (without telling me) my Severance be paid to me so they could trigger deferred money from a previous contract, I would probably never have been paid severance at all. Hey – wait a minute! What happened to the “We send it out automatically for you 20 months after you leave the game”? (And WHY 20 months? What other employer is allowed to hold your Severance Pay for 20 months?)

I keep wondering how just many players they’ve conveniently forgotten to send severance out to (or even notices)?

Burt Grossman
    San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles
    1989 -1994

6. Lionel James
    May 17th, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Lionel James
    I received the same types of letters, along with the new math that explained the amount that I received was correct. Well! It was explained to me by Tom Depaso.

Also, I was FedEx’ed copies of my contracts, which do NOT match what I was paid, but due to the proration from the 1987 strike, they contend the math matches(!). I even received a W-2 form which I say still doesn’t match. Also, my address was wrong and my signature seemed to match on dated material with incorrect dates.

So where do you go from there? I guess you CYA and just sit on it.

Lionel James